Stretford Paddock faced off against Denton Town Reserves in the first round of the Manchester FA Saturday Amateur Cup and came out victorious in an eight-goal thriller seeing them head through to the next round.

A frantic start from Paddock saw Denton with an early chance at goal from long-range claimed, somewhat uncomfortably from Paddock’s no. 1 Martin Flanagan much to the dismay of the Denton players and staff who believed it had crossed the line.

Just inside the first ten minutes Kieron Molloy was given an excellent chance as Nosa Iyamu found him with a delicate through ball that he took in his stride and calmly slotted home for Paddock to take the lead. Iyamu incredibly claiming at least one assist in each of his last eight games.

After twenty-five minutes had been played, Paddock remained on top, and a Denton mistake gave them an opportunity to cement their lead. Joseph Coleman picked up on the loose ball and played through Jainiero Salmon-Harris who placed the ball effortlessly beyond the helpless Denton keeper to put Paddock two goals to the good.

A defensive error quickly after Paddock’s second saw Edward Fulwood bring down the Denton forward with the referee awarding a penalty. Flanagan came close but the power of the penalty saw it slip through his hands to bring Paddock’s lead to one again.

Paddock’s hectic first half action continued as a smooth piece of play between Nosa, Joao De Andrade and Jaineiro saw the latter slot home into an empty net for his second of the game extending Paddock’s lead once again. Only moments later a Mikey Burke ball over the top found the lightning quick Joao who was cynically brought down by the Denton defender, with the referee awarding the second penalty of the game. The finishing result the same as the last with Joao De Andrade smashing home despite the Denton goalkeeper getting a touch putting Paddock up by four goals to one and comfortably in the driving seat.

Half Time: Denton Town Reserves 1-4 Stretford Paddock FC

A quieter start to the second half saw both sides with minimal attempts to try and break the deadlock. With Paddock still comfortably in the lead this was not an opening they were disappointed with as they remained calm and professional to swat out any potential threats from Denton.

With just over 70 minutes played neither side were able to find the back of the net in the second half with the game slowly petering out with no real pressure from either side. Until a Denton corner found their midfielder who rose highest and headed home past Flanagan who was rooted to the spot. Denton found themselves within two of Paddock completely against the run of play and to the serial disappointment of the Paddock players and staff who felt, despite Paddock’s underwhelming display, it was an undeserved goal.

Paddock restored their three-goal lead when Fulwood found substitute Vic Iyumva bearing down on goal as he tapped past the rushing keeper for Joao De Andrade to grab his second, Paddock’s fifth, from a yard out to close out any fear of a possible Paddock capitulation.

Moments from the end of the game another Denton defensive error was capitalised on by De Andrade who was scythed down inside the penalty area. Unselfishly, the penalty was given to Jaineiro who placed into the bottom corner to claim his hat trick and a fifth goal in the last two games despite never scoring beforehand.

A confident attacking performance, which was never really in any doubt, from Paddock sees them progress into the next round of the cup hoping to build confidence to earn themselves some much wanted silverware at the end of the season.

Ewan Macleod

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *