Stretford Paddock advanced to the third round of the Northern Cup (following a bye in round one) after six second half goals overturned a 2-0 halftime deficit against Hoole Rangers.

Due to postponement of all scheduled matches in December largely down to adverse weather conditions, Paddock played for the first time since the end of November. A combination of missed chances and mistakes in the first half open up the lead. However, the lack of game time looked to be a factor as players tried to shake off the festive feelings.

The opening half an hour saw both sides miss good chance to take the lead. Paddock created the first opportunity of the game with Kieran Molloy crossing from the right, Hoole goalkeeper parried the cross towards the penalty shot with Nosa Iyamu picking up the loose ball his shot, blocked by the keeper fell to Zak Bell on the edge of the area, and a mistimed volley sailed wide.

Hoole Rangers this time down their right-hand side saw the ball floated the six-yard box before being met with a tame side footed touch into the arms of Martin Flanagan.

Left Winger Ronaldo Brown missed two successive chances in a five-minute period, both of which again created from the right. The first a cut back found Brown in space central of the area and his shot could only be directed at the keeper.

The second and the biggest chance of the game so far saw Brown found unmarked at the back past, with the goal at his mercy, however, could only glance his shot wide.

With half an hour gone Mikey Burke was found in the outside the area with a clever forward pass by Jaineiro Salmon-Harris, before sliding the ball through to Zak Bell and with just the keeper to beat Bell hesitated allowing the keeper to close down and midfielder and saving a poor effort.

[Number nine Jaineiro Salmon-Harris challenging for the ball]
Paddock were then punished when Hoole left back picked up the ball before driving to the area without being pressured until a half-hearted tackle on the edge of the box, saw the ball ricochet into the path of an attacker to score with a simple finish past Flanagan.

Into added time of the first half Hoole were awarded a contentious freekick midway in the Paddock half. A high delivery into the area, attracted martin out of his goal and a miscued punch lopped backwards towards goal, to be tapped in and double the Hoole advantage.

Halftime: Stretford Paddock 0-2 Hoole Rangers

The beginning of the second half saw paddock gain a grip of the midfield areas and starting to control to play. Despite this, Hoole had a sight of goal with a drilled shot across goal which was comfortably saved low by Flanagan.

This moment inevitably proved to be Hoole’s last threat as the tide turned and the floodgates opened. Moments later from a Hoole corner Paddock opened their tally through a swift counterattack.

The ball fell to Salmon-Harris on the edge of the area, before a weighted pass into the path of Brown allowed the winger to set up the counterattack running the ball with pace down the left prior to slipping the ball inside to half time substitute Dom Molloy to delicately side foot the ball past the on-rushing keeper in the bottom.

Ten minutes later Paddock equalised, Brown again pick up the ball on the left passing it to Molloy [Kieran] on the edge of the area, holding the ball up allowed the runners and a blindside pass slipped the ball through to Joao De Andrade for an easy finish.

Seconds later Molloy [Dom] picked up the ball in the middle of the park and guided a pass through the middle of the defence where Brown rounded the keeper and rolled the ball into an open goal to turn the game around and ultimately take the lead.

A few minutes later the game looked to be settled as Molloy [Kieran] was found on the right-hand side, then drove with the ball into the corner of the box, and effortlessly cut the ball inside on his left allowing him space to smash the ball into the bottom corner.

[Kieran Molloy pictured holding the ball]
As the game entered additional time, Paddock added a fifth with undisputedly the goal of the match. Molloy [Kieran] gained possession in the right corner and with two players closing him down, superb trickery seen the winger round the first defender then cutting the ball back to Joe Coleman on the edge of the box, who set the ball out of his feet and curling a left footed shot to the far corner as the ball hit the inside of the post before nestling in the back of the net.

Into the last moments of the game a well goal put the cherry on the cake, as Callum Walsh De Andrade linked up on the left until the latter played a pass inside to Salmon-Harris with the number nines touch laying off Coleman again on the edge of the area as the midfielder grabbed a brace by smashing it low into the far corner with a right footed strike.

Jordan Hart

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *