Stretford Paddock defeated Maine Road Reserves by two goals to nil in a return to the Butchers Arms Ground, after last weekend’s 6-2 victory against Hoole Rangers saw the tie relocated due to pitch availability.

This was Paddock first game at the butchers arms since a 2-0 win over Hartford on the 28th October, and a first league game since victory away at table toppers Clay Brow on the 18th November. Due to adverse weather conditions causing postponements to all 4 scheduled league games in December.

The homecoming wasn’t all plain sailing, as the first quarter of an hour saw both sides struggle to maintain the ball and dictate the tempo.

The first chance of the game fell to Joao De Andrade after Jainiero Salmon-Harris played the ball inside the full back allowing the Paddock winger a chance one on one with the keeper before slicing his shot on a tight angle.

Maine Road had their best opportunity of the game on the half hour mark as a low corner dropped on the penalty shot, where the snapshot was side footed high and wide.

With just over five minutes before the break, Martin Flanagan had to be withdrawn, on a stretcher after a lengthy delay, due to a severe injury causing damage to his face following a collision when attempting to claim a cross.

The incident saw captain James Oatt put on the gloves as Eddie Fullwood moved to central defence with Richie Adjei coming on in full back.

Deep into added time of the first half, Paddock shifted the ball across the pitch to Ronaldo Brown on the right and a whipped cross fired at the ribs of Okera Simmonds saw the striker’s acrobatic flick at the front post saved low by the keeper.

Half-time: Stretford Paddock 0-0 Maine Road Reserves

[Manager Stephen Howson (front left) delivering halftime team talk with Jaineiro Salmon-Harris also pictured (central)]
The best chance to break the deadlock fell to Mikey Burke when Browns cross from the right found the fullback completely unmarked on the six-yard line, and Burke miss hit the shot allowing Maine Road to clear the ball without pressure.

The hour mark brought a change to paddock with Dom Molloy replacing Brown which saw paddock begin to gain control in midfield.

Nosa Iyamu attempting to get on the end of a pass through the middle saw him dragged down on the edge setting up a free-kick in a dangerous position for Paddock. Simmonds curled his shot delicately over the wall forcing the keeper into a good save.

Paddock’s control in the game started to tell as Burke played a ball down the left into the box for Simmonds, who was bundled over earning paddock a penalty with 15 minutes to go.

[Nosa Iyamu spotting the penalty]
Iyamu stepped up to take the penalty and as calmly as ever he placed the ball into the right of the goal leaving the keeper rooted to the spot.

Approaching the final stages of the game Maine road were unable to create an opportunity to test makeshift keeper Oatt in goal.

Paddock sealed victory when Salmon-Harris won the ball high up the pitch to lay off Molloy who skipped through the defence and smashed the ball home from close range to double paddocks lead.

The victory sees Paddock climb to second ahead of a crunch match at home to Windsford FC next weekend.

Jordan Hart

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *