Stretford Paddock came from a goal down to beat Newton-le-willows 3-1 at Manchester college’ Openshaw Campus.

In the reverse fixture a flat paddock performance saw them surrender a two-goal lead and ultimately score a consolation in the closing minutes after the substitutions picked up the tempo.

A much-changed side from last weeks disappointing defeat saw under-21 player make his first start for club in an impressive performance.

[Under-21 fullback Daryl Kanyemba]
The opening minutes of the game saw paddock control the ball and the first opportunity came when striker Ryan Katumba received the ball on the edge of the are holding off his marker before spinning and seeing his shot whistle over the bar.

With twenty minutes gone Paddock were forced into an early change as Katumba was replaced by Teddi Ojijo.

Paddock began to create chances as Ojijo won the ball on the hallway line before sliding a weighted pass down the left for Callum Walsh, as the winger drove into the box his flash at goal flew over the bar at the near post.

The best chance of the half occurred moments later, as Walsh won possession high up field prior to carrying the ball to the by-line. His cutback found Joao De Andrade in space and on the six-yard line, and his shot saved by the keeper looped up into the danger area where Ojijo tamely headed a golden opportunity into the grateful grasp of the Newton number 1.

With ten minutes to go before halftime Newton were gifted the lead as a long hopeful ball from the left side of the pitch floated over the paddock defence and as Mason Taylor came to collect the ball on the edge, the ball bounced over his head and dribbled into the back of the net.

Newton came close to doubling the advantage as a lovely interchange in the middle of the park saw a shot from the edge of the area well saved low by Taylor.

Halftime: Paddock 0-1 Newton-Le-Willows

The start of the second half began with paddock working the ball well as Newton attempted to disrupt the tempo at every opportunity.

The game began to turn as Paddock forced Newton on the back foot with ample opportunities, the best chance just after the hour mark fell to Paddock as Kayode Adewale shot from the edge of the box again ricocheted up in the danger area from the keepers save and with the goal gaping for the second time, De Andrade this time could only head it into the keeper’s hands.

With 25 minutes left to play and paddock desperately looking for a way back De Andrade pressed the Newton centre half and won the ball just outside the box before being dragged down inside the area, earning paddock a penalty and seeing the defender shown red.

[Joe Coleman striking the penalty]
Up stepped midfielder Joe Coleman with the weight on his shoulders he slotted the ball into the bottom left corner sending the keeper the wrong way.

Paddock began to get a lot of joy down the right as Walsh was gifted possession on the right before laying the ball off to Mikey Burke on the overlap, the full back steamed down the line and into the area until his low pass flashing across goal was turned into the back of the net to give paddock the lead.

Only a minute from taking the lead Paddock doubled their advantage as Burke played a ball through to Walsh on the right-hand side and with the winger in behind, he drove inside to create a scoring opportunity and calmly slid the ball under the keeper’s legs for Paddocks third goal in a little over ten minutes.

Paddock with a comfortable two goal lead and a man advantage played out the final quarter of an hour maintain possession without creating many chances.

Fulltime: Paddock 3-1 Newton-Le-Willows

Jordan Hart

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *