Stretford Paddock secured a 4-2 home victory over Haydock FC despite two late goals from the away side.

With first choice goalkeeper Mason Taylor unavailable and Martin Flanagan continuing on his road to recovery, as he looks to make an appearance before the season ends Ex Manchester United goalkeeper Nick Culkin was called up to make his second appearance between the sticks this season.

Paddock started the match very much on the front foot with Haydock struggling to gain possession as paddock effortlessly shifted the ball around creating chances with ease.

The opening ten minutes paddock won three corners and the best chance came from the third set piece as Callum Walsh swung his left footed cross into the box a headed clearance fell to right back Omar Sinclair outside the box and his well struck shot was blocked as it flew goal bound.

Paddock took the lead just after the 15-minute mark with another corner the low cross saw a scuffed clearance to Walsh outside the area allowed the winger to take a touch to set the ball out of his feet before curling a shot into the top left corner leaving the Haydock keeper flat footed.

[Callum Walsh running with the ball]
Paddock almost doubled the lead minutes later as Jaineiro Salmon-Harris picked up the ball on the left before finding Gavin Salmon on the edge of the area who played the ball to Joe Coleman. The midfielder unleashed a shot from 20 yards out as the keeper made a low save to keep the ball out.

Paddock gained control of the match as defender Michael Olatunji expertly won the ball in defence before playing a pinged through ball to Salmon-Harris in behind the defence, the number 10 slotted the ball past the on-rushing keeper to double Paddock’s lead.

A mere couple of minutes after the second, Salmon-Harris intercepted a pass in the Haydock defence and as he drove into the area the ball was squared across goal, and it was tapped in by father, Salmon for the third goal of the afternoon.

Half time: Stretford Paddock 3-0 Haydock FC

The break saw paddock make some changes as Nosa Iyamu and Mikey Burke replaced Coleman and Sinclair.

The start of the second half saw Haydock win a freekick just inside the paddock half on the right side, a deep in swinging cross saw the Haydock central defender climb above everyone and as the header looped onto the crossbar and away from danger.

[Number 1 Nick Culkin]
Winger Walsh searching for his second of the game received the ball on the right and drove in field and a low shot from outside the box fizzed just wide.

With just over 20 minutes to go Burke played a ball down the line to Walsh a low cross found Iyamu in the box and tricky feet gave the midfielder half a yard to take a shot across goal and a save saw the ball bounce up to Walsh who tapped in his second of the afternoon.

Haydock instantly replied when the number 10 was found in space almost 30 yards out and a speculative shot flew over Culkin before hitting the underside of the crossbar and bouncing into the goal.

Approaching the final five minutes Haydock won the ball in the middle of the park and a through ball beat the Paddock high line, despite the pace of the defence getting back into shape the Haydock winger turned and played the ball back to the number 10 on the edge of the area who smashed the ball into the back of the net.

Full time: Stretford Paddock 4-2 Haydock FC

Jordan Hart

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *