Stretford Paddock win 4-3 over fellow promotion chasers Clay Brow FC in an excellent comeback victory to continue their promotion push into the final games of the season after massive goals from Walsh, Salmon and Oatt after a disappointing first half from the boys saw us go 2-0 behind to the visitors despite good chances.

Stretford Paddock return to the Butchers arms to face fellow promotion chasers Clay Brow FC in a top of the table clash. After a convincing 4-2 win over Haydock last week Paddock look to continue their fine form as they look to end the season on a high.

The last time the two sides met Paddock came out with the 3 points after a 2-1 win away from home after goals from Ryan Katumba and Joseph Coleman secured our victory.

Paddock coming off the back of last weeks victory make 2 changes to their side with Mason returning between the sticks and Mikey returning to fullback.

But the first chance would fall to Paddock as Walsh gets on the end of a ball over the top of the Clays defence but his lobbed attempt over the on rushing keeper kept rising and went over the bar.

After the opening 10 minutes Clay Brow found themselves higher up the pitch but couldn’t turn their pressure into a shot on goal with their winger only mustering a poor ball going straight out of play after winning the ball back on the bar line. Clay Brow first dangerous chance would come from a swift counter attack after some poor passing in the Paddock midfield the ball was eventually crossed in by the winger but the chance was blocked burke after the Clay striker tried to flick the ball into the bottom corner.

Despite visitors starting to dominate the proceedings Paddock still managed to create chances after brilliant team play moving the ball from defence to attack the ball managed to fall to Walsh just outside the box but poor connection saw the shot drag wide.

But the pressure from the visitors would pay off as after a poor pass from Coleman was quickly intercepted a cross was then swung into the box and a brilliant touch from their striker allowed him to smash the ball into the top corner giving Clay a deserved first half lead.

Paddock players celebrating goal
Paddock players celebrating goal

Only 7 minutes later Clay would find themselves 2-0 up after a ball played over the top finds it way to their number 12 who takes it round the keeper and slots it home in a dominant opening 20 for the visitors.

But it would only take 2 minutes for Paddock to respond to the setback after a brilliant whipped ball by Walsh finds the head of the captain who sends it into the bottom corner giving the keeper no chance halving the deficit at 2-1.

Paddock began to build pressure as they looked for an equaliser what didn’t take long as a scrappy few seconds in the box saw the ball eventually land at Salmons foot who could tap it home and draw the game level at 2-2 just before the end of the half.

But Salmon celebrations would be cut short as only a few minutes later an attempt at a bicycle kick saw him come down with an injury and the ref ends the half early to allow him to get treated.

Half Time: Stretford Paddock 2-2 Clay Brow

Clay would start second half the better side with the initial chance being saved by the keeper but follow up is deflected wide of the post despite handball claims by the Clay Brow players.

The first major chance would fall to Clay as a quick pass behind the defence finds the striker but Mason out quick and saves the shot to keep the game level.

Despite Clay dominating the opening 20 minutes of the half it would be Paddock who would take the lead for the first time this game after a brilliant pass from Salmon-Harris saw the ball fall to Walsh smartly put the ball into the bottom corner to give Paddock a 3-2 lead just as we enter the final 20.

Howson would than look to secure the lead as he brings on Mike Taylor to replace Joe Coleman so they can close out the game for the final part of the second half and secure the 3 points.

Despite that it wouldn’t take long for Paddock to grab a 4th as Walsh would run onto his own flick on before skipping past the keeper and tapping it home to give Paddock a two goal cushion as we entered the final 15 as Nosa comes on to replace Bell in midfield.

Poor defending from Mikey on the flank saw Clay score to make it 4-3 after a quick counter attack but fortunately for the Paddock fullback it was called for offside after the number 18 came back from an offside position.

despite almost suffering a set back Paddock continued to push for a 5th but were struggling to create any massive chances with the only shot falling to Taylor who can only send his effort high over the bar.

As we entered the final 10 minutes Callum Walsh departed the scene after a Man of the Match performance by the winger who was replaced by Josh Mbala.

The end to the 2nd half would be nervy for Paddock as a corner that’s headed out falls to the Clays winger who tries to volley it home and the resulting shot is deflected into the net giving Mason in goal no chance halving the deficit to 4-3 Paddock as we entered the last few minutes of the game.

In the last minutes of the game both teams had chances to change the result neither side could find that killer touch meaning the game ended in a Paddock Victory

Full Time: Stretford Paddock 4-3 Clay Brow FC




James Richardson

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *